With addiction and alcoholism reaching pandemic levels world-wide and epidemic levels in the United States the Delray Beach Drug Taskforce and FAU’s Phyllis and Harvey Sandler’s School of Social Work are partnering for a cutting edge symposium and “National Call to Action on Substance Use Disorder.”
The two organizations are bringing together a panel of nationally renowned thought leaders, entertainers, and policy makers for the third annual SUDTALKS, taking place on Saturday, April 7 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Barry Kaye Auditorium at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton.
“Substance abuse is ravaging our nation and our local community. The battle against the ever-rising tide of addiction is on-going and new tools are needed to crush the epidemic by changing the way we think, feel, believe and treat Substance Use Disorder,” said Gary Kimble, Executive Producer of SUDTALKS. “The 2018 SUDTALKS will provide inspiration, hope, education and solutions to combat addiction”.
Proceeds from the 2018 SUDTALKS will support essential life saving initiatives through the continued development and expansion of the Delray Beach Drug Task Force First Responders Training Program and to support a Delray Beach Drug Task Force Community Advocate.
The speakers represent 12 disciplines, essential components in the battle again the epidemic of addiction. SUDTALKS will also feature personal recovery testimonies of iconic celebrities who are in recovery. Featured speakers include:
- Pat O’Brien: former CBS Sportscaster and “Access Hollywood” host, and bestselling author
- Royce DA 5 9: rapper, songwriter and Eminem collaborator
- Darryl Strawberry: Major League Baseball great
- Brandon Nova: former “Jackass” cast member, skateboard star and New York Times best-selling author “Dreamseller.”
- Heather Hayes: renowned interventionist and cast member of Dr. Drew’s “Intervention.”
- Jeff Mangum: national acclaimed recovery playwright and spoke word artist
- Joseph Green: internally recognized award-winning poet
- John McAndrew: singer, composer and story teller
- John Hulick: former New Jersey Drug Czar
- Justin Chapman: Assistant Florida State Attorney
- Carol McDaid: principal at Capital Decisions and expert in treatment and mental health policy
- William Cope Moyers: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
- General Barrye L. Price, PhD: Community Anti Drug Coalition of America
- Justin Luke Riley: founder of YPR (Young People in Recovery)
- Leonard Lee Buschel: co-fouder of non-profit Writers in Treatment and executive director of REEL Recovery Film Festival
- Dr. Janet Robishaw: PhD., Professor and Chair of Biomedical Science at the FAU Charles F. Schmidt College of Medicine.
- Dr. Wendy Guastaferro, PhD: Associate Professor, Criminology and Criminal Justice at FAU.
- Dr. Heather Howard, PhD: LCSW and assistant professor, School of Social Work, FAU
- Associate Professor
Tickets to the event are $15 or $25 and $10 for students with a student ID. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit: www.sudtalks.com